Ever hit a roadblock that you just can't seen to get past?- or how to make a folder!

Bob Warner

KNIFE MAKER
I have been making knives since 1993 and have made a lot of them. None of them are folders. Why? Because I just cannot wrap my head around folders.

I have read every tutorial I can find on making folders. I have watched Chris Crawfords video on autos and have read several books on it.

For some reason I just can't convince myself that I will not be wasting material.

I even bought a kit knife from knifekits.com to see how they go together. It all makes sense to me but I have problems with two major areas. First is the design itself, making sure it will function correctly. Second, I just know I will drill the wrong hole in the wrong place and ruin something (drill it large and can't thread it or similar) that I cannot fix.

I've been told that folders take the same amount of time as fixed blades and I would love to be able to make them.

I would love to spend a day with someone that makes folders (actually making one, not talking about them) to SEE it done and get over this mental block.

Anyone else have this issue or am I just a nut?

Last edited by a moderator:
You are always welcome to come to my shop to see a folder made, but Minnesota is a long way for you.

Once you see one made you are going to kick yourself for not making them sooner. They are easier than you think.

The only way you are going to get past this is to force yourself out of your comfort zone.

What sort of folders did you want to make? Slip joints, liner locks or lock backs? Nothing beats just getting started with some materials, even if it is just a cheap bit of acrylic, or some micarta to get you head around all the moving parts. Being able to see what is going on makes things a whole lot clearer than trying to think it through. Even then the amount of steel in a small folder is less than $5 if you are using something like precision ground O1 so you might as well start with something that is going to end up as a knife.

I would offer as well but I suspect Australia is further away than Minnesota :D

I was in the boat as you. Read all the tutorials watched all the movies & just could'nt bring myself to do it. One day I finally just broke down and went for it and I am now on my 8th liner lock. A couple have been frame locks. I talked to Tony Metsala on and off for a couple of years about them he was excellent help and support. I was also very worried about making a design that would actually work until Chad Nichols finally told me to just draw what I wanted to make on a piece of paper make 3 or 4 copies of it cut out the blade from one sheet and the handle from another picture where I thought the pivot should be and the stop pin. Then use a push pin or something for the pivot and open and close the blade. If it works great make it. If it doesn't work then make adjustment until it does. It is basically CAD design. That way is very simple to make sure it works before cutting metal. Hope that helps.

I built me first folder for the knife dogs charity build off, I got a package of parts and had to figure out what to do with them.
Its not as bas as you think, I had to build it in 1 month and thats also sending it out to get heat treated!!

Jump in and have fun, I really enjoyed making my first and I am going to start another soon.

I make a knife on paper first. I use a stick pin to open & close it after cutting out the pattern. Then I use some cheap 1/8" aluminum to make a blade & liners from the pattern. I drill & thread them just like I would the real stuff. That allows me to actually see it function. On the last knife I did I make 5 sets of blades and 3 sets of frames out of aluminum before I was satisfied. I uploaded some pictures to show the progression from pattern to finished knife. The third picture is the knife in aluminum. If you can make one out of cheap (I got mine for free) aluminum, then you can certainly make one out of the real stuff. You are welcome to come visit with me in sunny Jacksonville, FL any time. It takes me 2 - 3 times longer to make a folder than a straight knife.

Attachments

• SNC00153.jpg
    SNC00153.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 81
  • SNC00154.jpg
    SNC00154.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 87
  • SNC00157.jpg
    SNC00157.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 90
  • SNC00001.jpg
    SNC00001.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
It all makes sense to me but I have problems with two major areas. First is the design itself, making sure it will function correctly. Second, I just know I will drill the wrong hole in the wrong place and ruin something (drill it large and can't thread it or similar) that I cannot fix.

I have the same problems with most everything I do that's new to me.
I guess it's fear of failure or like you say, you'll do something you can't fix or won't work.

I tell myself it's part of the learning process, (that helps a little)
It's the journey not the end product ( i'm goal orientated)

I don't have an answer and wish that I could learn from someone first hand but have found the tutorials to be the next best. I did the "build off" along with Ernie and others here, otherwise I'd never have done a folder, nice to know there are good people here to help.

Before the "Web" I stalled out on knife making because of the lack of support, take advantage of the resource, with a camera and keyboard it's very close to being in someones shop.

I would like to say that the build off, Kith are very good learning experiences. They put a like pressure on you to move forward.

Last edited:
I think your just NUTS !!!!!!! LOL LOL :D2thumbs :haha:
Just joking i'm in the same boat,thats the reason i started making knives was to make pocket knives ,and kitchen knives and have only made 3/4 of a pocket knife the first one i made didn't turn out to good the sec , never finished yet .and yet never made a real kitchen knife yet ,you know out of SS just out of damascus, some 200 knives later still no pocket knife. i would give a left nut to spend a few days with a real pocket knife guy.just to get my head,around this .or is it just to get over the fear of the unknown shkn,i'm such a pu-- ,hell if bill coye can make one ,LOL :haha:.
you know just because you did this post lets say we both start one.lets start with a drawing then kick some pocket butt .my next knife will be a pocket knife
i all ways wanted to make a slim coffin handle slip joint with a nice long blade.
time to do some reading and get started. whata say with me !!!!!!!.

The book "My Way" is awesome for this especially for mechaniclly inclined folks like my self. Don Robison's plans are awesome also

Bob
You are a good maker and if I can make folders anyone can.I put it off for a long time but once I tried it I'm hooked.
I'm bout 4 hous south of you but if you want to spend a day making folders you a welcome.

Stan

I have been making knives since 1993 and have made a lot of them. None of them are folders. Why? Because I just cannot wrap my head around folders.

I have read every tutorial I can find on making folders. I have watched Chris Crawfords video on autos and have read several books on it.

For some reason I just can't convince myself that I will not be wasting material.

I even bought a kit knife from knifekits.com to see how they go together. It all makes sense to me but I have problems with two major areas. First is the design itself, making sure it will function correctly. Second, I just know I will drill the wrong hole in the wrong place and ruin something (drill it large and can't thread it or similar) that I cannot fix.

I've been told that folders take the same amount of time as fixed blades and I would love to be able to make them.

I would love to spend a day with someone that makes folders (actually making one, not talking about them) to SEE it done and get over this mental block.

I'm in the same boat as you are, I can draw a full tang knife out to finished in about 5 minutes, trying to design a folder just makes me go balder! One idea I had for making my first folder was to buy one of the crappy China made jobs for 5.00 bucks, and take it apart, then copy all the parts, use the screws and pivots that came with it, or buy some real ones. Either way you've got a functional design that you can tinker with, that was just my idea to get started, then the next one I felt like I would have a better grasp of what will work, BUT it won't tell me what WON'T work! At the very least it's a cheap guide that is a start, of course I'm sure that there are different ways to make them, but the general assembly should all be close unless you want to use bearings like what Tracy sells, that will require some milling machine work. My biggest problem is understanding what materials to buy, for the liners, I know I can get Titanium, if you got enough money you can get anything you want, but I just don't have much extra cash, so is there an alternative to Ti, that will work, I know there is a spring steel (for a liner lock), but what's it called? Where can you get it in the right size...what's the right size? As well as other parts mostly unknown to me. See Bob, your not the only nut around here, and I think the biggest hurdle is that with all the parts it makes you feel like you're going further OFF the deep end! Getting started is another one of the BALD makers!
But once you get going I don't think it'll be too bad....that could be some of those famous last words! But I'm a positive person, problem is I'm positive it will drive me completely bald!!!! Kidding, it's something I've wanted to do for a while, so if we can get a thread going here where we all build one at the same time like Ironarmsknives suggested, if you don't mind me horning in on your idea. Get a list of materials together, the best place to get it, maybe a known knife pattern, I would prefer a liner lock myself, anyone else think this is a good idea? Rex

Ernie,

You are always welcome to come by my shop.

I made a million mistakes when I first learned how to make folders. I have shown several people how to make folders. I have also tried to pass along the lessons I learned so they didn't have to have as dramatic a learning curve as I did.

If you stick to a few rules of design, everything will turn out.

I forgot to add... my methods are not for everyone. I tend to fly by the seat of my pants and design as I go. I don't make patterns so every folder is different. I have had people who are more structured have anxiety attacks just watching me, but it works for me.

Last edited:
Many moons ago Kit Carson sent me plans for a liner lock knife. I followed them and the knife came out OK but not up to my expectations. Now I have contemplated to go back and disassemble the folder and correct my errors. However, the more I procrastinate the more likely it won't happen. My advice is like all the others, jump in with both feet and you will learn from it and gain confidence. Jump in the water is wet!

Back