Anyone forging in the DFW area?

CTaylorJr

I'm not new to knife making, but I have only played at forging a few times with my brother-in-law.

He lives in NC so I can't just go over and get a hammer in my hand with him but once a year. That means we only get to "play" in the shop for an hour or so before we have to do the family thing...

I'd like to meet someone in the DFW area that would allow me to come over and see what all it takes to get into forging a blade, and would LOVE to see someone making damascus!

My knife making thus far has been relegated to stock removal by file at first and then grinders. Forging is what I see as my next step. I'd just like to spend a little time (8 hours or so) seeing what all is involved and what tools are required... 2-3 visits is what I have in mind to equal the 8 or so hours. I can buy the steel required for the tutorial as well.

Charlie

I aint DFW but Im talking a blacksmithing class at the local CC in the fall. Just a thought if you cant find someone but man, we're in Texas. Outside of the urban centers, you should be able to find a pisston of guys who forge and could help.

Look for some local knife shows. The knife mags generally have them listed for months in advance. I had to drive about 2.5 hours to a show here in Illinois but I made contact with someone who lived in a town about 20 minutes away from me.

Doug Lester

I can help you get started. I am very close to you.

Damascus right now is not happening but regular forging is no problem. Damascus will come later when I get my press built, it is a lot of forging to do by hand and I am not in the shape I need to be in for that.

I just need to get the cash together to fill my propane tank and then we can work it out.

Email me and we will plan it.

Back