Custom Knife Maker Wanted for Regular Work

storl

Hey guys,

I need a custom maker for a knife of my design that some of you may have seen. It's called the Sparky and has a firesteel threaded into the butt end of the knife. It's not really anything special other than that. Contoured handles, 4" blade, squared off spine, flat grind, etc. I have been using O1 steel, but am open to any tool steel if you prefer to work with something else. The first batch will be orange G10, but subsequent batches will have other materials as well, mostly as customer requests.

I will provide the firesteels. I am working on having a production insert for the back, but the first batch will need to be fabricated or made out of existing parts. The first few batches had an aluminum insert that the firesteel sat and threaded into, but having it thread into the G10 handle material is fine, as long as there is some sort of handle on the firesteel with an o-ring to keep moisture out of the hole. Sheaths will be optional on the knives, but your being able to make leather and kydex would be nice.

The first order will be for at least 20 knives, 10 x 4" blade, 5 x 3" and 5 x 6". I imagine that I will be placing orders at least that large once a month for the foreseeable future. I would like to keep the retail price at or under $200 (6" will be higher), so keep that in mind, since I will have to build some profit for me in as well.

I have gone through a few different makers. A couple just didn't have the time to do the volume that I needed and one dropped of the face of the planet, so I need someone reliable that could see doing this for a a couple of years at least.

Anyone interested? I am ready to move on this immediately.

The first batch (firesteel handle was not threaded on this one, but will need to be on future batches):

sparky1.jpg

sparky2.jpg

sparky3.jpg

While I dont think it's breaking any forum rules, it might be best to take this to PMs for matters of money.... I'm just sayin'

:)

Haha, yeah, I would prefer to talk money in private. Send me a PM if you are interested. I'd be happy to discuss specs and all that stuff in the thread though.

Very interesting design, however I'm no where near the level to produce on that size yet. Good luck with finding someone though.

Have you considered water jetting the blades and having someone do the handles and finish the knives? It would be a lot more profitable at that volume. I'd holler at Dave Curtiss at Great Lakes Water Jet. He is a forum owner here.

Yes David is the way to go , with the water jet cutting . He has cut many blades for me and will do you a great jub. Scott

Back