Come to the 2010 Knifemakers Guild Show!

Mike Carter

Hey folks! Just a reminder that the 2010 knifemakers Guild Show is quickly approaching September 17-19, 2010. This is the Guild’s 41st annual show and it is one of the premier knife shows in the world. See Knifemakers Guild for details.

Last year we had Guild knifemakers from across the U.S., Canada, Italy and South Africa. It is a rare opportunity to see the work of the some the outstanding custom knifemakers who seldom show in the U.S.

The show is held at the historic Seelbach Hilton Hotel in downtown Louisville, KY and if you make your reservations now and say it is for the Knifemakers Guild Show you will get the special Guild rate of $125 per night.

Let me tell you, a stay at the Seelbach is an experience in itself. This hotel was built in 1905 and has hosted numerous celebrities over the past 105 years. It was the inspiration and backdrop of F. Scott Fitzgerald’s “The Great Gatsby”. If you remember the pool hall scenes from the classic movie “The Hustler” starring Paul Newman and Jackie Gleason, they were shot in what is now the Oak Room five-diamond restaurant in the hotel. Hidden doorways in the walls lead to secret passageways that Al Capone used to escape when the law arrived.

More recently, Miss America 2000, Heather French Henry, held her wedding reception here. And while on tour with Elton John, Billy Joel chose to stay at The Seelbach and played piano and sang his favorites in the Old Seelbach bar to the delight of surprised guests.

The hotel recently finished a complete $12 million dollar renovation and every room has new beds, new carpet and 37” flat screen high-definition TVs along with authentic period antiques for a great blend of old and new. You won’t find a better room rate for a four-star luxury hotel anywhere.

Right outside the front door is Louisville’s “Fourth Street Live” with dozens of restaurants, upscale bars and entertainment.

Yes, I have a motive for pitching the hotel. The Seelbach has bent over backwards in welcoming the Guild Show to Louisville. Of course, they do this to book rooms. Staying at the host hotel supports the hotel AND the Guild Show. So, treat yourself to a night or two of elegance and luxury for about the same price you would normally spend to stay at plain-Jane hotel and help keep the Guild Show successful and growing.

Louisville is easy to get to from anywhere. Louisville International Airport is only ten minutes from the hotel. Interstates I-65, I-64 and I-71 connect from every direction. We are within a days drive from Atlanta, Chicago, and St Louis, and only two or three hours drive from Nashville, Cincinnati, Lexington and Indianapolis.

So come on and see a great custom knife show and enjoy a great weekend in a historic luxury hotel at a great rate.
Book your reservations at RESERVATIONS
or call 502-585-3200. Be sure to ask for the special Knifemakers Guild Show rate.

I've never spent time in Louisville but passed through recently on the way to/from Knoxville. It's a lovely city.

I will definitely look into making the Guild show. Thanks for the heads-up!

Mike, I really hope to make it this year. My oldest granddaughter that lives in St. Mathews gave us another great-grandson this spring and we need to spend more time with the little doody factory. lol Denny

So far it's looking like I will indeed make it to the show this year. I'm really looking forward to seeing some great work. I hope to have 4 or more knives ready to at least get some input from members. I'm fully prepared to eat my share of humble pie :)

Is it considered bad form to approach members at their tables and ask if they have time to take a look at my work if they're not busy? Or should I make other arrangements?

Are applications available at the show, or can I download one to print out and have ready? I looked on the Guild site but didn't find one.

Glad to hear to you will be able to make it. The applications are 2-part forms so that a carbon copy goes to the guild. Applications will be available at the show or I will be happy to send you one if you will PM or email your address.

If your intentions are ot get a table at the show you will need to get your 4 signatures ahead of time. Otherwise you can get them at the show. It is not bad form at all to ask Guild members to look at your work at the show. If you are staying at the hotel there will also be plenty of people available before and fter the show who would be happy to look at your knives.

I hope to see you there.

I did get the application you had sent to me, Mike, thank you. I'm getting nervous and not sure I'll bring four knives... but at least a couple half-way decent ones to get input on.

Regardless I'm really looking forward to seeing some killer work and meeting some great folks. I'll be the tall skinny long-haired guy in a KnifeDogs t-shirt :D I should have some KD business cards to pass out, too.

Be sure to look me up and say Hi.

Mike, I'll be sure to look for your table first. We're headin up to Louisville tonight, gonna stay overnight so we can hit the show bright and early. This is my first real knife show and I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve :)

Back