Serrated, plain edge or both? - Survey

Serrated of Plain edge blade?

• I always prefer a plain edge blade.

Votes: 44 63.8%
  • I always prefer a serrated edge blade.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • I use both depending on the application.

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • It depends whether it is a folder or fixed blade..

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I used to avoid serrated edge blades. I think it was because I was "trained" to not like them. I kept hearing they are ugly, no better than a sharp straight edge, a "dull saw", etc.

I open *a lot* of boxes. I have several Protech's as my EDC (I love an auto), some were serrated, most were plain edge. I finally figured out I prefer a serrated edge. They open boxes with (or with out) banding straps easier and quicker. I know prefer a serrated over a plain edge which puts me in a minority but let's find out what size that is with this survey.

I've seen this topic spin out of control about a billion times. Keep it civil.

What is your preference and why (with out just trashing the other camp)?

I like the looks of a smooth blade better and for the type of work I do with a knife I have not found a good use for a serrated blade.

I like a plain edge. Serations are nice but the upkeep on them is kind of a hassle. Trying to resharpen a goofed up serrated blade can get frustrating.

I prefer a plain edge, mainly because I can sharpen it very sharp. I don't really know how to sharpen serrations. Also, most of the serrations I've used before are much too coarse for general use. It might be nice to use them while sawing tree branches, but not too useful for most of what I cut. Serrations also leave a toothier cut while plain is usually a lot smoother.

On the other hand, serrations can be very useful in some situations, like slicing bread. Bread knives are almost always serrated because the sawing action helps to not crush the bread. They are also sometimes better at cutting slippery items, like vinyl and plastics. Sometimes plain edges, no matter how sharp, just seem to push or pull against something until it finally catches enough of a point to break the tension. Then the plain edge usually is a little nicer. Have you guys ever tried to cut plastic wrap with a plain knife? Or a plastic bag? They just don't do it well.

Edited to add: I'd love to be able to make a serrated blade, but I don't really know how to make the finer serrations that I like.

I prefer the look of plain, but appreciate the serrated edge when needed. They are two completely different tools IMHO. If I were given the choice to own only one, it would be a duplex. My work EDC is an old, crusty Boker toplock auto with duplex blade but my hunting EDC is usually a Buck 110 in plain edge. I personally don't like the serrations when working on game but they are great for cutting rope and can be a lifesaver if you have to cut yourself out of a treestand harness.

I guess every instance I can think of could be handled by a duplex blade. A doubled bladed lockback with both styles would be handy when given time to make the decision, but for every day "whip it out and cut it" use like Tracy does for boxes, the duplex wins.

Just please don't ever serrate my beloved hunters and drop points.

Steve

Well said, guys. I prefer plain edges in general but sometimes a serrated edge really shines.

One thing about combo blades that bugs me is the serrations are right near the ricasso. Why not serrations nearer the tip, and a nice plain edge near the ricasso? I know it would look odd, but I think it would work well. Say if you want to peel an apple or whittle something. Then you'd still have the serrations out on the blade for tearing into boxes and stuff. Just a thought... maybe I should make one and see if I'm full of baloney or not.

A lot of the older folders I used to buy I always went for a partial edge. However after reading something about them I realized that a partial serrated edge is almost like having not enough of either. I would often use the serrated edge for cutting things like banding, or those annoying ties they use on kids toys to strap them to the box. However after going with plain edges I actually like them more I think.

On a fixed blade I only like a plain edge, but I think having either one or the other is the way to go. The more I think about it there really isn't much you can't do with a very sharp plain edge that you can't do with a serrated... I don't think. Serrations are great for getting through a piece of rope or plastic but again with a very sharp plain edge you can basically do the same thing.

Well said, guys. I prefer plain edges in general but sometimes a serrated edge really shines.

One thing about combo blades that bugs me is the serrations are right near the ricasso. Why not serrations nearer the tip, and a nice plain edge near the ricasso? I know it would look odd, but I think it would work well. Say if you want to peel an apple or whittle something. Then you'd still have the serrations out on the blade for tearing into boxes and stuff. Just a thought... maybe I should make one and see if I'm full of baloney or not.

A buddy of mine has a Mini Skirmish done like you described. I will see if I can get a picture.

Plain edge for me. Once the serrated gets dull (and it will doing what I do with an EDC) it hangs up on twine and stuff. When a plain edge is dull it will at least slide across the material and saw through it.

Plus the serrated is harder to sharpen but I can touch a plain edge up on a belt grinder in about 30 seconds.

hmmm. I guess I didn't think my post through well. I was thinking of a dual blade, partially serrated and partially plain edge and mainly on folders. Frankly an entirely serrated edge folder didn't even cross my mind, even though I have seen them. I will see if I can modify the survey. I need to clarify now. My preference is for a dual edge, part plain, part serrated for a folder. I will have to think about the hunter with a part serrated now that Steve brings that up.

I prefer a plain edge, Nice and smooth and will cut like a razor.

I do not like ugly cuts and to me thats what the serrations do!!

But then again it is me:rolleyes:

You've got me thinking.
Always prefered plain edge but never really used the serrated type because of the sharping and looks.
I'll vote plain edge but I should try a serrated blade in the future.

I carry and like plain edge only. However, I carry a full serrated Spyderco on my Sitka. I don't ever remember using it.

As promised -

006.jpg

I almost always carry a dual folder and straight fixed.
I don't like the combo edge on one side of the blade:
I'd like a folder with a plain primary edge and serrated spine (think serrated swedge).

I'm not much for carrying a folder so I initially thought fixed blade. I voted plain edge because IMO that is what a knife oughta have. I can't think of a single thing where a serrated edge would have been necessary in the last 60 years or so. Denny

This past year I started carrying my first serrated edge knife as my EDC, a folder with the back 1/3 of the blade serrated. Having never owned a serrated knife before I thought I would give it a try. After a few months of use I will definitely go back to a plain edge knife for my next EDC. I agree with Cliff the the serrations tend to just hang up on things more than help to cut.

Frstr8, thanks for the pic, that's exactly what I meant. Seems like a reasonable compromise/design feature to me. Pokey tip, aggressive serrations for boxes/rope etc, normal edge for close work.

When all is said and done, I still prefer normal edges. I used to cut cardboard and paper all day every day, and always came back to a plain edge because it didn't snag or get clogged, and was easy to touch up.

I made my living in the printing/converting industry for many years. With all due respect, I'm pretty sure I've cut more fibrous, debris-riddled material than most of you will ever see, and I didn't use serrated blades to get my production bonuses. We tried serrated cutters, slitters and sheeters, and threw them out.

Serrations tear, a good plain edge mostly shears and tears some, depending on how finely the edge is ground. That's my experience with both hand-held knives and machine-mounted cutters/slitters. Sometimes a fast, coarse tearing is exactly what you need.

I've never had a problem cutting plastic banding or fresh bread with a well-maintained plain edge. I don't believe a "straight" edge needs to be polished to the Nth degree to cut well... a little "toothiness" is usually a good thing.

I don't mean to offend anyone; obviously there are lots of folks who love serrated edges, more power to 'em. Make/use what works for you!

Last edited:
right tool for the job!

I almost always prefer a plain edge, but there are certain things that a serrated blade cuts better, a bread knife is the 1st serrated use that leaps to mind but, even if my job required cutting people out of seat belts, I think I would rather use some kind of strong scissor type tool for that that would cut through the seat belt in one cut W/O risk of cutting yourself or the passenger, although I think that if at least 1 of the 2 blades was serrated it would work even better at that particular job, but even here I've had a seat belt cutter that had a plain edged razor for a blade that was disposable and designed so that you would be "very" unlikely to have any accidents so I guess straight edge it is, for me. :D

I've never had a problem cutting plastic banding or fresh bread with a well-maintained plain edge. I don't believe a "straight" edge needs to be polished to the Nth degree to cut well... a little "toothiness" is usually a good thing.

What sort of grit would you say you might prefer to leave it to be toothy?

Back