Where to get carbide plate in....

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dogs I'm looking to buy some carbide plate about 1/2"wide x3"longx1/8"thick, if anyone knows a good place to buy these please share, Thanks Rex

Thanks Mike! The price isn't too bad either, we have a place her called Max Tool, I went by there yesterday, they have a surface grinder in there that looked real nice for 6600.00! Are these things that expensive? I know Max Tool is pricey on everything, but dang! They always say they "can order it", which my response is always I can too, for a lot cheaper! But their carbide same size as Enco was double that of Enco. actually a little more than double. I'm going to make me a new set of file guides, the kind that I can put on my grinder, I've shyed away from making hidden tangs for too long, because I don't have a good enough set of file guides, I was trying to wait on Boss to get them in, but decided it would be (financially) better to make them myself, Thanks Bud! Rex

Thanks Mike! The price isn't too bad either, we have a place her called Max Tool, I went by there yesterday, they have a surface grinder in there that looked real nice for 6600.00! Are these things that expensive? I know Max Tool is pricey on everything, but dang! They always say they "can order it", which my response is always I can too, for a lot cheaper! But their carbide same size as Enco was double that of Enco. actually a little more than double. I'm going to make me a new set of file guides, the kind that I can put on my grinder, I've shyed away from making hidden tangs for too long, because I don't have a good enough set of file guides, I was trying to wait on Boss to get them in, but decided it would be (financially) better to make them myself, Thanks Bud! Rex

That's what I plan on doing too sometime. So I've been looking at Enco to figure out which size I would want, and when you posted this, I was like "I know! I know!" :D

Have you considered something like the one I build?? I am a firm believer that epoxy shifts and that flat carbide floating on epoxy will cause problems.
The secret to a good filing guide is perfectly flat and parallel..
If you don't have a really good mill to get everything just right, you may be better off buying a guide instead of going through all the frustration of trying to build one yourself...

Attachments

• DSCN0124.JPG
    DSCN0124.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN0121.JPG
    DSCN0121.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 35
Have you considered something like the one I build?? I am a firm believer that epoxy shifts and that flat carbide floating on epoxy will cause problems.
The secret to a good filing guide is perfectly flat and parallel..
If you don't have a really good mill to get everything just right, you may be better off buying a guide instead of going through all the frustration of trying to build one yourself...

Steven ,
I like that, how did you go about building it? An idea just came to me to, buy a set of file guides like Boss sells, and adding the carbide to it, probably be a little cheaper that way, I've checked with a couple of places for the carbide rod but they didn't carry it anymore. That was something me and Steve Janik talked about at BLADE. That was the original idea, but with the 0-1 already hardened I thought it would be easier to start from scratch. If I got some carbide end mills, I could mill the grooves, for the carbide rod, the difficulty there would be attaching the carbide to the O-1. How did you do it? BTW do you make these to sell? That would make it A LOT easier! Thanks Rex

Why not go to a glass shop and and have them drill ya a 2 pieces of 1/2" thick by 1" wide tempered glass?

Jason,
The purpose for the carbide is to be able to use it on my belt grinder, if I didn't want to use it on my grinder I could use the regular ones Boss dog sells that are hardened O-1, you use a file on them to get your shoulders flat, and even. O-1 won't last but a minute on a belt grinder, the carbide will last indefinitley! Riverside Machine Shop makes a very nice one....for a 150.00 bucks, thats way out of my range right now. Besides, I do enjoy making usefull tools, I just need more practice at it! Thanks Rex

Hey man, still haven't had a chance to get by there and see you. If I understood more of what you are talking about that you need, I might be able to help.

Hey man, still haven't had a chance to get by there and see you. If I understood more of what you are talking about that you need, I might be able to help.

If you go to River Side Machine Shop(I think .com), look at his file guides there, particularly the one with carbide face on it, so it can be used on a belt ginder and only grind the knife steel not the jig. Check it out, and let me know, we do need to get together when ever you'd like, Rex

Jason,
The purpose for the carbide is to be able to use it on my belt grinder, if I didn't want to use it on my grinder I could use the regular ones Boss dog sells that are hardened O-1, you use a file on them to get your shoulders flat, and even. O-1 won't last but a minute on a belt grinder, the carbide will last indefinitley! Riverside Machine Shop makes a very nice one....for a 150.00 bucks, thats way out of my range right now. Besides, I do enjoy making usefull tools, I just need more practice at it! Thanks Rex

I'm well aware of the purpose for a file guide... I was merely offering a more common and less costly material that's just as hard (if not harder) and long wearing...:rolleyes:

Jason

Last edited:
Back