Things I never knew

T

texasjab

First off let me start by saying i am the kind of person that if you say something is hot, I have to find out how hot for myself.
As I am finishing a danish oil coating on a knife handle today, the knife slipped out of the "tape" sheath and I stabbed myself in the thumb with the tip of said knife. (to the bone)
As i wipe the knife down and recoat with more oil, I comment to Stanley Buzek who is now standing there telling me "the tip of that thing is "pointy", I say well you never mentioned that before.
So to anyone that is trying to teach a person like myself (hard headed) these are things you might wanna mention

1 grinders can hurt ya ( finger tips, knuckles, ect)
2 knives are not only sharp but pointy as well.
3 forges get hot (really hot)
4 Just cause it aint red dont mean it aint hot.
5 and this knife making is very addictive, and rewarding.

Pain is your friend, it tells you what's wrong, it let's you know you ain't dead yet.;)

Rock on my friend:)

lol,
there are at least a dozen scars all over my hands that remind me to tape up the blade before I even look at it a 2nd time...but I only listen to them about half the time...
(actually,I tape 'em 8 out of 10 times now;I'm slow,but figure it out eventually!huh1)

texasjab, let me add one more - don't pick your nose after working with super glue. It gets really hard to explain in the ER.

iran-eng_17b75dcd35733148d682e2850a.gif

When your lady comes into the shop and says, "Wanna go out for dinner tonight, honey?" the correct answer is, "Of course dear, gimme 15 minutes to shower and put clean clothes on!"... NOT "Naw, just bring me a sammich and a beer."

Walking into a public place covered in steel dust will not make people think you're cool and get you knife orders.

"I make knives, *evil chuckle*" often makes people back away slowly. "I handcraft custom cutlery" sometimes generates interest. But not always.

That's pretty d@m& funny. Also, you really do need clamps to hold down a blade on a drill press too. Or at least a glove. Blades doing the helicopter do leave scars.

That's pretty d@m& funny. Also, you really do need clamps to hold down a blade on a drill press too. Or at least a glove. Blades doing the helicopter do leave scars.
2thumbs!!!
I have 3 scars on my left wrist,because the first time I ever put a blade in a drill-press,I was both brain-dead,and slow on the draw...
I was all for pouring some Jack Daniel's on it to disinfect,some in me for "anaesthetic"and wrapping it in green painter's tape,but the (then) better half wanted to rush me to Emerg.
...after 4 hours waiting...and explaining twice what happened..."For the last time,NO,I wasn't depressed and attempting suicide,but the longer I spend here the more I am thinking about it".
Now I use clamps.
(and have green painter's tape hanging beside me):D

superglue on a gappy glue line, or applied as a surface coat for a material- whatever. The superglue you wipe off onto your hands, if you let it dry for 5 minutes, will leave your hands cleaner than they've been in YEARS. (after you spend 2 hours picking it off)

my hands look like pebbled leather from the grinder.

I have a special leather padded C clamp I put on the blade covering the POINTY TIP of a knife when it's in a vise for any sort of work. I got an easy lesson on this one with a leather apron. But I have dogs, kids, and a lot of projects going on at once. use the clamp.

Oh, corollary to that- sharp annealed steel is STILL sharp. and pointy.

Back