4th of july weekend

ironarmknives

Bladesmith & Forum Owner/Moderator
hey Dogs ,long time no see !! i've not been in the shop for about three months ,just got burnt out i guess,with darci going to travel ball and state finals ,and basketball,then theres work "thank god" about time because all them out of town softball trips kicks your bank book right in the a--,LOL,and it was already a small book LOL,it just seemed like going out and making knives was work ,and not fun so took some time off.anyways i just couldnt stand it any longer ,not doing anything so this weekend i went and cleaned the shop friday night ,and started up sat morning,darci and the old lady went to the beach for the weekend ,on sat morning i ground some 0-1 steal i had there in pic #4 and then got drunk LOL and then on sunday i prep.4 billets to make two little skinners for a boss who has been hounding me for months to make and two large billets for myself. i've had these two knives in my head and had to get them out LOL. the billets both where 3"+ wide its the first time i've made a billet over 2" wide didnt know if i could do it but hey I can.
the one billet in the pic's is 11 1/2" long alittle over 3/8 thick and 3"+ wide,its going to be a cleaver for the wife's camper i'm going to hand forge it next weekend into the right shape .and the other wide billet i made the knife in pic#3 .this kid marine got a knife like it at blade this year and i just had to have one.by the way you all treated this marine real good at blade he got 5 knives given to him by knife makers for free and never bought a drink and stayed half crocked the whole time he was there,and said the dogs where the best people out there so good job guys. So the large billet is 360 layers 1095-15n20 and the blade in pic#3 is 280 layers of the same and 3 1/4" wide and 1/2" thick at the handle and 3/8" thick at the blade,the handle will be all in one. LOL YOU"LL SEE what i mean when i'm done. the two little skinners are 280 layers .so got 11 knife on the bench over the weekend. not bad sorry there not finished to show ya but in the next few weeks they'll be popping up one at a time. and thanks for taking care of my marine buddy at blade
_MG_4477.jpg

_MG_4465.jpg

_MG_4473.jpg

_MG_4479.jpg

_MG_4481.jpg

Last edited:
P.S. I forgot how much fun i have in the shop, i only caught my shirt on fire 4 time this weekend with the hand grinder ,only got three blood blisters smacking my hand with a piece of steal ,and ground of the skin off on a finger with the KMG ,and just because it not red don't mean its not hot, LOL i tell ya we must be some sick guys because i laughed every time I love this crap. LOL

Clint, it's good to see you back. Looks like you have a lot of knives to finish. We would love to see them when you are done. Denny

P.S. I forgot how much fun i have in the shop, i only caught my shirt on fire 4 time this weekend with the hand grinder ,only got three blood blisters smacking my hand with a piece of steal ,and ground of the skin off on a finger with the KMG ,and just because it not red don't mean its not hot, LOL i tell ya we must be some sick guys because i laughed every time I love this crap. LOL

AMEN BROTHER!!2thumbs

from billet to this

ok I had two hours before darci's softball game tonight so i cleaned off the slack from the welding, man i forgot just how much fun that is LOL and drilled some holes next its time for the mill to see how i should make this handle look good without any wood etc...
anyways here it is from billet to now .its looking better 2thumbs

_MG_4465.jpg

_MG_4473.jpg

_MG_4488.jpg

first grind, the wife wants me to stop and let her have this knife for a chicken cutter for the camper ,she wants it left with just one edge ,she doent know i made a billet for a chopper for her ,anyways this is the first grind, today the other edge,wow you can start to see some lines.!!!
_MG_4509.jpg

_MG_4502.jpg

_MG_4495.jpg

_MG_4506.jpg

_MG_4507.jpg

well even though it seems as if I'm talking to myself ,i'll show the sec. grind of my knife ,these days off from work are nice,i get some time to do knife stuff
AFTER THE HONNEY DO LIST. WHY DO THE WIFES THINK ITS OK TO GIVE YOU ALIST OF 10 THINGS TO DO ON YOUR DAY OFF ?????. I never give her a list .the top grind edge is only sharp for 2 1/2" it tappers thicker to the handle i'll show edges when i'm done with file work.
anyways now i'll start on rounding the handle some not really set on what i'm going to do with it yet .
_MG_4513.jpg

_MG_4515.jpg

_MG_4522.jpg

Last edited:
Back