Drilling HT Blade

jcullen

I need to enlarge holes in a blade that has been heat treated already,what do I need?, It laughs at HSS bits........

Yes carbide will be the only way you will be able to touch it. How much material due you need to remove? Are the holes tapered, one side bigger then the other like draft from waterjet cutting, if so make sure you drill from the smaller side to the larger especially if only a small amount of material is being removed.

Travis,

A carbide cutter in a Dremel-type tool would probably hog it out, if you don't care about it being exactly round.

Carbide is the way to go unless you want to use more expensive diamond abrasives. Semi high speed, slow feed, plenty of cutting fluid, and rigidity is needed. You can get by with a high speed hand drill if your extremely steady though..but I wouldn't recommend it as just a slight movement can potentially break them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carbide is the way to go unless you want to use more expensive diamond abrasives. Semi high speed, slow feed, plenty of cutting fluid, and rigidity is needed. You can get by with a high speed hand drill if your extremely steady though..but I wouldn't recommend it as just a slight movement can potentially break them.

+1 on that info.

Also, make sure you use a vise, the carbide tipped bits like to grab and can toss and spin things around on short notice.

Charlie

M083044W01.jpgThe best way to do this is go to a local hardware store and get Tungsten Carbide Glass Drill Bit. you can get them in 1/4". The bit should be between 5 and $10. Go slow with good lube.
I have used these to drill through heat treaded CPM M4 and S30V.

Try using a solid carbide Burr.. a round nose one i have done that before ,as long as you have a hole that is close to size it will work pretty well.. im sure you can find a burr like that pretty much anywhere .

Yea, what they said only you want to advance the carbide bit quickly. Heat is the enemy of carbide and your steel blade. If you cut slow you will build up too much heat. My drill bit Mfg. suggested that I run my bits up to 1/4" at 1000rpm and press pretty hard to get the bit through the material. Do not try this without clamping it securely. It will eat your lunch.

Back