Simple Mammoth Skinner

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
attachment.php

Got my hands on some ultra thick Mammoth Ivory and decided to do a simple, rustic skinner. The OAL is 8 1/2" and the blade is 4 1/4" The pins are carbon arrow shaft with a copper tube and brass pin fitted inside. The spacers are .025 copper and black vulcanized. Blade is a piece of Norm Schenk damascus of 1095 and 15n20.

I used bone Corian along the butt and spine to hide the tang and soften the look.

It feels good so far. Please give me some comments, good or bad. It still needs my logo and a coat of wax but I had to quit playing with it and post some pix.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• rustic 002.jpg
    rustic 002.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 168
  • rustic 006.jpg
    rustic 006.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 56
  • rustic 008.jpg
    rustic 008.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 51
  • rustic 009.jpg
    rustic 009.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 55
  • rustic 012.jpg
    rustic 012.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 61
i like that, looks real nice. where you been? i thought you retired from knifemaking haven't seen your work in a while.. oh you probably been busy welding on the vw..lol.. very nice knife steve

Thanks guys!!!
I think I invented the carbon fiber arrow shaft for pins so I should be rich soon. I dremel some notches in them for glue retention then slip in a 3/32" tube of copper then brass or colored epoxy.

Thanks for lokking.
Steve

I thought it would be a little bit bigger, after reading the title. A mammoth is a pretty large critter and.......:haha:

That is a really good looking cutter. I like the contrast of the copper and the mammoth. 2thumbs

I cant take my eyes off those beautiful mammoth scales. With the use of modern and old, this knife is interesting. You seem to come up with innovative fasteners on each knife. I do think you need a third hold down on the handle scales. Very cool knife Steven.

Thanks again guys.
Bruce, you may be a mindreader, as I have a .250 hole in the tang where a lanyard could be. I have it mapped out and may drill it for a sleeve/fastener.

The knife is hefty, but I couldn't stand to grind away anymore ivory.

My wife says that if CSI crime scene people ever comb our house, they will think its built on an old mammoth graveyard. HA HA

Steve

Thanks again guys.
Bruce, you may be a mindreader, as I have a .250 hole in the tang where a lanyard could be. I have it mapped out and may drill it for a sleeve/fastener.

The knife is hefty, but I couldn't stand to grind away anymore ivory.

My wife says that if CSI crime scene people ever comb our house, they will think its built on an old mammoth graveyard. HA HA

Steve

If You dig up any more of that ivory send it here.
Yes a lanyard would go perfect. Scary though, drilling blind even with a map. I suggest you drill a very small pilot hole and work your way bigger. Easy to go crooked too. No worries. :D

Great knife man. The blade shape is quite lovely and the mammoth looks great.
Please some more pics about the sheat!
Congrats!

Back