We learn as we go - Scam posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
Well, we seem to learn as we go along here. We've had a few posts that ask "is this is a scam or not?" with no consequences. Then along comes another post like that, the crowd votes scam and the guy shows up here to take a stand and back up his offer. Good for him, bad for us as a community.

Our apologies to Mr. Bolton.

We should have been a little smarter about these SCAM discussions in the first place. Right from the start we didn't allow "this guy cheated me!" type threads. We couldn't prove a thing and while there are certainly cheats and thieves out there, we don't need to set our selves up to judge the accusations that go back and forth. It simply creates division and hostility and drama -- and we don't enjoy drama. If you want drama come to my house when we try to parent our teenagers.

Initially, we thought openly questioning SCAM emails was harmless but when it comes down to it, we have learned we don't know about those either and we will not allow those in the future for the same reason we don't allow "he cheated me!" threads.

When I have posted on this subject I was very serious and concerned. I needed information and this has been the best place that I have found to get that information. The thread that I had started quite a while back and that re-surfaced today fits that discription. In it I was concerned but offered that if anyone on Knife Dogs wanted to respond to the person I would give them the information.

I feel that these threads have been a needed service to all of our members. I don't believe that "harmless" fits here, these threads have been a service. I only know of the one thread that the person in question responded.

Tracy, I agree. There was no value added to the forums from these post.

I am glad that Mr. Bolton has joined us here and look forward to seeing him post some examples of his work.

That way we can at least gain something from this little drama.... :)

I am sorry for starting to Dreaded scam thread.

When I first started it I was looking for advice from fellow members as whether or not it was a scam.

I could not believe that anyone would want to review my knives already, When I first got the email from Mr. Bolton I had been only making Knives for 3 months.

If I would have been told by other members on here that he is for real I would have happily let him review a knife.

My intentions were not to bad mouth anyone at first but it did escalate and turn into a bad thread.

I am sorry for any grief caused.

Gentleman, it is 1.30 am my time, and my son has finely went to sleep. So, I am off, to bed. It is funny how polite, Mr. George can be when he chooses. But, polite is not nice or rude. I will reply to your e-mail sir, later in the day.

Thank you the words.

I agree to a point. However, if a knifemaker does fall victim to a scam I think it benefits all of us to know about it. If someone really got scammed, I would want to know about it so I wouldn't fall for the same scam.

If someone gets a "personal" email suspiciously asking for knives and then we find that dozens of knifemakers got the same email it raises red flags but that in itself does not necessarily mean it is a scam..

Mr. Swanson, You had a reason to question me, that was fine. But, the manner and double standard sir, is another thing. Busting balls is all fine and well, till someone busts back.

I do not wish to be cheated, so I don´t cheat people. I perfer the snoty British manner, as it was called when I need to be civil. There is a distance, and for a reason.

I only know of the one thread that the person in question responded.

But the flip side of that, is as best I know 100% of the people in question that where afforded the opportunity have taken it.

But so what? So what if we have jumped to conclusions on just one guy, that's ok right? I mean if it where 2 guys, but then that is just one more.... maybe if it was 6 guys that would be too much!

The basic thought here is that knifedogs is not that kinda place. Any dispute has 2 sides, no matter how thin you slice it and the truth often enough is some where in between.

Here on one side, we had a well meaning question, is this a scam? The internet is chocked full of scams. I think there are over 1000 e mails in my yahoo spam folder. So we (I took no dog in the fight but I am a part of this group) decided that it sounded fishy, for a lot of reasons that make perfect sense.

Once we had decided is was a scam we poked some fun at it, kicked it around a bit..... Mob mentality.

Bill did a very level headed thing and invited the person in question to explain themselves.

Once Mr Dave 89 showed up, he read it and without knowing us or how to take us, he reacted defensively. Regretable, but totally understandable.

We where wrong to treat him like we did and he was wrong to react in kind.

So in the end it's not about a service to us here, it's about maintaining the atmosphere that this place was founded on, and is posted at the top of this very page. Friendly.cool 1

Anyone that has ever met me knows I am not G rated. I have lived for conflict and take a lot of pleasure from it in the past. That's just not how things are gonna be here. 2thumbs

A least till they ban me! ban1

It is funny how polite, Mr. George can be when he chooses. But, polite is not nice or rude. I will reply to your e-mail sir, later in the day.

Nothing polite about me most times, I am short tempered, mean and hurtful and I have the test results to prove it! 2thumbs

I would get a new ID and get banned again and again and again.... just to get attention... :)

You don't need to get banned for attention, All you have to do is get a picture of you wearing a pink tutu and drinking tea:p

Sorry, Back on topic

I continue to be impressed by this forum, its leadership and guiding principles, and its members' willingness to turn the other cheek and let their work speak for itself, rather than getting bogged down in drama and arguments. All of you inspire me to learn to act in a professional and courteous manner. Thank you! 2thumbs

Les, don't be down on tea... it's lovely stuff on ice with some sugar, mint and most importantly, a good splash of whiskey ;) As for pink tutu's... I plead the fifth :D

Last edited:
This indeed was a good lesson....for both sides and for all of the reasons already stated.

I'm ready to press on gentlemen.

Cheers,

BC

If anyone knows who is spamming Mr. Bump´s computer, please tell hiim. He asked if it was me, NO. You re not that interesting or of value for me bother, even if I knew how. Which by the way, I don´t.

If anyone knows who is spamming Mr. Bump´s computer, please tell hiim. He asked if it was me, NO. You re not that interesting or of value for me bother, even if I knew how. Which by the way, I don´t.

I can tell you right now that either you change your tone and quit calling people out, or I will give you a vacation. Your choice. Last chance.
-John

06-28-2010 07:38 PM
Bruce Bump
Mr Dave,
Did you have anything to do with my gmail getting spammed to the point that I cant use it?
Bruce

I do think, I was being called out Mr. Barker. I review and test nives Sir, not spam.

Folks this one has become very tiresome, as well as making us start to look like some of the venues most of us like to avoid for the very same type of 6th grade drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back