Looking for advice

ryan

I'm new to this forum and was hoping that some could point me in the right direction. I want make my own chef's knife but I have no clue where to start, all I have for tools are woodworking tools so I guess I am limited but willing to give it ago. Where do I start?

Not knowing exactly how much experience you have at making ,....

Read, read, read, ask questions , read some more. Decide if you want to try a kit first, to get your feet wet,.. or just get some steel and get after it. There are merits to both.

List some of your tools you already have, and maybe we can point you towards some extras and changes you can make that will help .
If you have never made a knife before, Id go with a kit first, to see how much enjoyment vs aggravation you get out of it,lol.
If that isnt a big challenge,and you are enjoying it ,.. then go ahead and give some steel and scale materials a look, (everything you could possibly need is available from dealers and traders right here on KD, especially USAKnifemaker.com)
To start out, you really dont need to get wild and buy everything at once, there are folks here still using files ,sandpaper and a bench vise and turning out excellent work.
Once youve got the bug, and enjoy the challenge and satisfaction of completing a knife , then choose how deep into it you really want to go.
It can be an extremely rewarding hobby, and in some cases, folks have managed to aquire enough skills to make it a money making endeavor .
Good luck ,ask questions, make some lifelong pals , and above all, enjoy yourself- there isnt an exam at the end :)

**PS- No matter how ugly, lumpy , or odd that first knife you complete is, never let go of it.

Back