So, where do I draw the line??

Steven Kelly

Forum Owner & Moderator
My wife just came home from Costco with some kind of black bean and corn BURGER!!!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

I am sorry, but BURGERS are made from BURGER. Now, I am not all that particular what kind of MEAT is used for making my BURGER. BUT..... Black beans and corn.. Come on now, give me a break.

I really love my wife.. And I understand that she is trying to look out for my health.( She is trying to pass this stuff off as more healthy) But I am from a state where almost everything produced here has meat in it. So, therefore. Burgers are made from Beef, elk, deer etc.... Not beans!!!

I am going to try and ignore the fact that there is a big GREEN box full of beans in my freezer that are inappropriately labeled BURGERS...

I think I will head down to the Roadhouse bar and order up a BURGER. They use good old fashioned BEEF with about 30% fat in it. They cook it up on a barbecue and put a fat piece of cheddar cheese on it. When you eat it, the grease runs about half way down your arm!! That's how I judge a good BURGER.. By how far the grease runs down my arm while I am shoveling that juicy, cholesterol infested, piece of heaven down my over sized pie hole!!!!

Well Steven, it that is the way you measure a burger, next time you are in Atlanta don't miss the Varsity Drive-In, just across the X-way from Georgia Tech. Oh yeah, you will also need an order of French Fries and Onion Rings. That meal will get your cholesterol right up there. If it doesn't throw in a Chili Hot Dog. Make up your mind what your are going to order before you get in line. They don't have a lot of patience. WHATL YOU HAVE!!WHATL YOU HAVE!!! NEXT!!!

I understand completely!!! I intentionally made the mistake of trying a veggie burger once, ONCE. I chastised myself for days for committing such an atrocity.

We have a little place back in my hometown of Newport, Ar. called Monny and Poppy's. The owner, Mr. Wardell is a WWII veteran who came home after the war and opened up a diner in downtown. He and his wife ran the place for years and finally decided to retire back in the early to mid 80's. Wardell was never one to be lazy and quickly found himself doing odd jobs and part-time jobs to occupy his time. A few years later he decided to open up a small burger shop that was only opened for lunch. This place had about a dozen or so chairs and only four or five tables in it and often had a line of patrons down the sidewalk waiting to eat. After a year or two he tried to retire again only to find himself in the same situation as before. After a year or so (early 90's), he and his wife opened up Monny and Poppy's (the names by which his grandchildren referred to he and his wife). Since opening the restaurant, his wife has passed and his daughter, who filled in her mother's shoes in assisting, has passed. On my last visit home, I found that his grandson is now helping him run the place.

In all of my travels, I have found a few burgers which come close to being as good but not quite as satisfying. Mr. Wardell hand forms balls of fresh hamburger meat every morning in anticipation of the day's orders and hand peels bags of fresh potatoes. When you order your burger he pulls the appropriate number of hamburger balls out of the fridge and flattens them on the grill then hand cuts the potatoes into fries and drops them in the frier. If you ordered a cheeseburger, he cuts a big ole hunk of Velveeta cheese off of a block and melts it on top of the burger before he plates it up. You always get the freshest toppings which were handcut that morning as well. I've had the juice from the toppings and grease from the meat drip all the way down to my elbows before.

Mr. Wardell is in his late 80's to early 90's now and has worked hard all of his life. Even at his current age, I have no doubt he can still work circles around just about any man a quarter of his age. He has set the standard by which I have measured all other burgers I have ever eaten. I truly believe that if I had ever told him about the time I tried that veggie burger, he may have pulled his belt off and bent me over his knee as if I were a kid again.

Ostrich Burgers and turkey burgers rock and are healthier, but I think I'll stay clear of the bean burgers. With any luck they will give you horrible gas and you will be able to express your displeasure in no uncertain terms!

This thread is way funnier than the Sunday comics I read earlier. 2thumbs
With any luck they will give you horrible gas and you will be able to express your displeasure in no uncertain terms!

"Dutch Oven" comes to mind :D

Ostrich Burgers and turkey burgers rock and are healthier, but I think I'll stay clear of the bean burgers. With any luck they will give you horrible gas and you will be able to express your displeasure in no uncertain terms!

Rock.. you are the man!!! I think you may have given me a reason to try one!!!!!!!!!:running dog::running dog::running dog::running dog::running dog:

My wife comes and tells me to put a veggie burger on the grill with my burgers, it just lays there no sizzling no grease and no taste i'm sure, I just keep it real far from my burgers.

If you are ever in Stockton, MO you have to go to "The Squeeze Inn" and have a "squeeze with cheese". They'll put bacon on there too if you want. Ken and Ruth Knoblet are two of the nicest people you will ever meet. If they still do things the same way Ken goes in early and hand cuts the fries and then blanches them. Then he preps all the fixins. IIRC, a squeeze with cheese comes with st least a 1/3 lb burger, about an inch of lettuce, 1/4" or thicker slices of beefsteak tomato, onion, and pickle, four pieces of bacon (optional), and about four inches of grated cheddar melted all over the burger. Voice of experience here: don't take out the toothpicks, eat around them, otherwise you'll never keep that beast together.

If you make it in tell them Wade sends his love and wishes he were there too.

When you get married, you are signing a contract to make reasonable accommadations to the other person. Lowering the toilet seat when you are finished urinating would be an example of a reasonable yet often difficult to remember accommadation. Having a wife suggest that a man eat a veggie burger is unreasonable and legal grounds for divorce in 37 states.

My wife eats meat right along with me. She has never tried to get me to use some vegetable substitute. She does make me eat vegetables with my meat though and every once in a while she will try and put some tofu in front of me (She's Asian).

But as with most things, it's more how much you eat than what you eat. Why do think we have those sharp canine teeth anyway...for tearing MEAT!

I have also been reading that all these things made with Turkey are just as bad for you as the real product, especially Turkey Bacon. Who knows, I'm going to eat what I enjoy and wash it down with a cold beer until something kills me! And with my family history it will be Old Age.

Why do think we have those sharp canine teeth anyway...for tearing MEAT!

I have also been reading that all these things made with Turkey are just as bad for you as the real product, especially Turkey Bacon.

Amen to that, friend! As for turkey, I love regular turkey-type turkey, but won't touch turkey ham, bacon, sausages/dogs, baloney, chili etc. That's just wrong.

Amen to that, friend! As for turkey, I love regular turkey-type turkey, but won't touch turkey ham, bacon, sausages/dogs, baloney, chili etc. That's just wrong.

I read somewhere where turkey bacon is worse for you that real bacon because all the fat in turkey bacon had been added. Added from where or what??

I'm going to eat what I enjoy and wash it down with a cold beer until something kills me! And with my family history it will be Old Age.

AMEN!! Veggie Burger and beer are just not meant to be in the same conversation.. But now let's talk a bit about a big fat juicy beef burger with cheese PIG bacon and a cold Coors light.. See how nicely that all just seems to flow off the lips!!!!!!!!2thumbs

Now, I know it's important to eat and drink in moderation... but at the risk of being un-PC huh1 let me say this...

My grandparents on both sides of the family ate real eggs, real bacon, whole milk, fresh beef, real butter, every single day of their lives, unless they were just too darn broke to get real food. And they all lived long productive lives and none of them was obese. Of course they were all physically active as well. They were farmers and carpenters and homemakers and such that kept pretty busy, spent a lot of time moving around in the fresh air and didn't stuff themselves with sugar while staring at a TV for hours every night. Plus the food they grew/raised and bought at the store wasn't full of hormones and artificial crap.

I saw a docu about Amish folks, saying they have a life expectancy and general health far greater than the typical American for the same reasons. And yes, they eat plenty of red meat and real butter as well as fresh veggies and fruits:D Of course they don't smoke or drink... that will likely be my downfall long before the pork chops and steaks kill me :eek:

OK I'm goin out to do some yard work now and work off a couple beers :D

Now, I know it's important to eat and drink in moderation... but at the risk of being un-PC huh1 let me say this...

My grandparents on both sides of the family ate real eggs, real bacon, whole milk, fresh beef, real butter, every single day of their lives, unless they were just too darn broke to get real food. And they all lived long productive lives and none of them was obese. Of course they were all physically active as well. They were farmers and carpenters and homemakers and such that kept pretty busy, spent a lot of time moving around in the fresh air and didn't stuff themselves with sugar while staring at a TV for hours every night. Plus the food they grew/raised and bought at the store wasn't full of hormones and artificial crap.

PC is what I'm typing on...

I was raised by my Great grandparents, they were also farmers. We ate what we raised, but we raised pigs as well as vegetables so I don't think pork is a serial killer. I think you got it right with the "real food", raised on a farm not in a lab. No hormones or other drugs to enhance output.

My Great Great grandparents lived into their mid 90's and were alive until I was a teenager. My Great grandparents lived into their late 80's and my Grandma is 87 and still drives and gets around fine.

The one thing they all had in common was good old "Hard Work". No sitting around watching TV or playing video games all day and not knowing what Playing outside is...

Oh, and my Great Great Grandpa and my Great Grandpa chewed plug tobaco their entire lives.

Even Thumper agrees- When informed there was a bean burger she said- "Why?!!, Thats just WRONG,thats against God an nature" LOLOLOL.

Back