What do you look for in a custom knife?

Les Robertson

Guru of Steel
Hi Dogs,

When looking at a Custom/Handmade knife what do you look for?

Price is not an issue.

Im looking more for the "Technical" aspects of the knife.

This is open to all categories of custom knives.

First, it has to "speak" to me asthetically. Then I look at fit and finish. Even,crisp grinds etc.
But I also look at who the maker is and what kind of person he is. I won't buy a knife if the maker is a jerk. The person behind the knife is half the value to me.
Tom

I have to agree with "Boomer". The blade must also feel right in my hand. I have purchased several blades via the internet which looked great in photos and even looked great upon personal inspection when received, but did not "feel right" in my hand. I have to be comfortable with any knife I purchase. Regardless of the level of crafstmaship in the piece, if it doesn't feel right, I can't keep it.

As a maker I always look at fit and finish first. But as a buyer I look at the feel of the knife in hand first and foremost. And as it should be the fit and finish should increase with the skill of the maker as does the cost. Natural handle materials are a plus and extra frills are good to look at but often not functional and not high on my list of must have extras.

I would have to say the knife has to fit your needs, as well as being made well from a skilled maker. Expensive handle material and things like this are just extras you might not need for a daily user. And it has to feel right to you.....cause after all it is going to be a special piece in your collection

Just out of curiosity, and I am nowhere near the point I would even put a knife I made up for sale (I have a long way to go), as a knife collector will you buy a knife from a newer maker that might not be "perfect" in fit and finish if it still speaks to you and feels right in your hand? I am also assuming that different people collect at different price points and styles as well so that may open opportunities for new makers who are still refining their skills.

Hi Les,
First things I look for are the same in any knife - over all design, symmetry of grind and swedge (if applicable), fit of gaurd and pommel, symmetry in the handle and its mechanical attachments, choice of steel and handle material and the final finish. Then in a custom I look to see that all of the afforementioned items are done better than 90%of all the knives I have seen before. I then look for balance (weighted forward for a chopper or weight towards the handle for a bird and trout or caper, etc.) and how the handle fits my hand. I'm looking for a knife that feels 'alive' in my hand and feels as if it was made just for me. Then I look at the price. I do things in this order because the price doesn't matter if the knife isn't right. Denny

*The knife has to be feel right in the hand , the handle to me should be rounded with no square corners or hot spots. It should feel like an extension of the hand. I dislike handles that are totally flat , that feels like a block of wood to me.

* Blade should be proportionate to the handle. Grinds should be clean. Only sharp edge on the blade should be the edge , any gimping on the spine I am OK with it being "catchy" as long as it doesn't draw blood. Not a fan of chisel grinds.

* If it's a fixed blade it must come with a sheath. Otherwise why sharpen it , since I can't use it right from the get go ?

* Fit and finish I prefer to match or exceed the price point.
Example: I wouldn't expect the same fit & finish from a new maker for $150 as I would from a well experienced maker for $300 considering the same style/type/size of knife.
I could not overlook deep scratches on a knife costing over $300 , regardless it if is the makers "Style" or "trademark.

* Design - it must appeal to my eyes. I dislike very wild designs , especially if they interfere with the ability to use the knife comfortably.

*Materials - turnoffs mokume , timascus , anything neon green

For folders with a clip , I prefer tip-up , I only own one tip down folder , an older Elishewitz.

Slip-joints - a half stop is a huge attraction for me , as are long nail pulls.

and much like my bud Boomer , I also examine the maker. There are some I wouldn't buy from at any price.

I have bought knives from newer makers that I was beyond happy with , and I have also bought knives from well established makers that I was disgusted with.
Finding the balance , what I call " smiles per dollar " , is different for everyone.

As such price does play a big part in my buying , but I buy to use , not to collect.

Astetics, (did I spell that right) are very important. Prospective buyers won't pick it up to check the feel or balance if it does not look good.

Aesthetics definitely, and it has to feel comfortable in your hand. I'd say those are the 2 most important things I would look for.

Christina

I don't buy custom knives but one of the first things I look at when viewing one is the blade thickness, grind style and basic edge geometry. If these don't click then the rest really isn't worth further consideration.
The rest is pretty much what everyone else said. Not many folks looking to buy an expensive, ugly knife, or one that makes your hand grumpy.

For me,it starts with the 4 F's:
Fit,Finish,Flow and Feel.
Clean,even grinds,blade-handle ratio,and materials appropriate to function.
I like Balance,and have a thing for book-matched material
(handle scales and bolsters),
but all elements of the knife should compliment,or contrast in a way that feels
right to me (everyone has their own personal 'Right' )
Over and above good steel with good h.t.and good design,
it has to make my hand happy;
it's a tool first,and something that pleases the eye 2nd.
There's a song by the Northern Pikes that states that some women
"ain't pretty,they just look that way",and knives can be like that too.
(Good from afar,but far from Good) :D
And,I also consider who made it. How established they are isn't really a consideration (other than the 'comfort factor' that comes with a known maker): a new maker who is a Good person and offers good,honest work will win me over an established maker with good knives who is unethical,and/or a prick.

Sharp grind lines, Bolsters with no gap on the tang, bolster pins don't show, Tapered tang, file work. And don't like a heavy knife.

Proportions for everything on a knife including contours, curves, furniture, embellishing, lengths, thickness. Hitting the right balance for a given knife. That's what gets me to take a look. Doesn't matter what name says, lots of fancy stuff just don't look right.

Second, but very important would be fit and finish. Not much wiggle room on fit, but finish would have a bunch of variation to fit the knife.

Materials would be last. If someone gets the first two, they've selected the right materials to complement the package. Aesthetics would definitely win out over 'feel' in the hand for me. If the proportions are right the feel is in the ball park if not spot on.

Wish I could sorta pull it off, Craig

Taking the overall attraction out of the picture because it can be subjective.

For Folders
=I like a really good blade to handle ratio. I dont like it when the handle looks much longer or larger than the blade. This takes a little more forethought when designing but it's worth it.

=The blade must be perfectly centered in the closed position.

=The blade must have perfect and early lockup. No play in any direction.

= I also think that on a steel blade that it should be hand rubbed on a custom knife. If it isnt than it's not finished imo.

Jamie

Back