Paragon Sports NYC Raided!!!

stabber

Knife Dealer Extraordinaire
Any one see this in the News paper?? They raided the store and Seized a bunch of Knives????

Anyone know WTH happened????

This is getting out of control. Most of the knives I could identify in the photos were Spyderco, Black Hawk, Benchmade, and Smith & Wesson one hand opening style folders.

From the article:

The knives generally fall into one of two categories: switchblades and gravity knives. On a switchblade, the blade pops out at the simple flip of a switch; with gravity knives, the blades come out by a simple flick of the wrist.

Since when is that considered a gravity knife?

Fletch, unfortunately......the definition of "gravity knife" (according to wikipedia) includes any knife whose blade is opened either by gravity or inertia (flicking the wrist).

I really believe this guy is just hunting for a way to drum up money and pad his political progression. I hope all of our knife interest groups pounce on this and embarass him into hiding.

Pathctic to think that just because a knife opens a certian way that the person using it it is a criminal. Knives dont commit crimes, the Idiots useing them do.

Fletch, unfortunately......the definition of "gravity knife" (according to wikipedia) includes any knife whose blade is opened either by gravity or inertia (flicking the wrist).

I really believe this guy is just hunting for a way to drum up money and pad his political progression. I hope all of our knife interest groups pounce on this and embarass him into hiding.

You can take basically ANY folding knife and, by holding the blade, flick it open with your wrist. So technically something like a slippie is considered a "gravity knife"? Seems that certain peoples sense of priorities are a bit screwy sometimes. Reminds me of how I occasionally walk into a place like WalMart and go over to the hunting section and in the glass display case are pictures of the knives you can buy which are hidden who knows where. However I can stroll over to the kitchen section and wield a 12" blade on a chef's knife without a problem. :rolleyes:

And Rusty you're right..... I'm also willing to bet that the majority of violent knife related stabbings happen more with a kitchen knife than anything these guys are trying to get out of peoples hands. Pretty soon the only utensils we'll be able to have in this country are sporks apparently.

Last edited:
Non-metal Sporks with break-away handles?

This reminds me of when S & W caved. I watched the accompanying video and wondered what the other two thirds of homicides that occurred in Manhattan were committed with? I wondered how many times these illegal knives were used as tools, in self-defense, or in defense of a loved one.

Last edited:
Yeah but keep in mind if this lunacy actually takes hold there, that means that this can potentially be done in any state.

I like this part...

Mr. Vance said he expected the forfeitures by the stores to total nearly $1.9 million. Just more than half of that money will go to the city, 10 percent to the state and the rest to law enforcement agencies, he said.

So far, more than 1,300 knives have been surrendered to his office, Mr. Vance said

Flat out stupid if you ask me. Those are pretty much common pocket knives. If I was a custom folder maker in NYC , I would be looking to either move or switch to fixed blade only. I can just see someone getting a wild hair and raiding a makers shop and taking all tools used to make these " illegal knives ".

I have heard that NYC cops are quite good at holding any folder by the blade, flipping it open and delcaring it a gravity knife.

When they overturned this stupid law in NH and ordered all of the confiscated knives returned they found that about 1/3 of them had disappeared from the property room.

Last edited:
What is frustrating is that public safety seems to have little to do with these events which appear to center more on generating cash and political gains. If they really wanted to attack crime and ensure public safety why not find a way to better the education and parenting of children coming from backgrounds statictically proven to nurture criminal activity? Certainly there is a way to make that profitable for most parties but then I guess it wouldn't generate the immediate revenue or headlines for all the parties involved that a bogus knife bust with names like Home Depot would. Anything can be turned into a weapon but certain variables go into making a criminal and that is what they should be most concerned with but I guess they aren't.

Seriously how many people are killed with high end production or custom knives, bet you can count them on one hand if there are any at all. Just a stunt to try to further a sad miserable career.

What happened in NYC doesn't surprise me in the least. NYC as far back as I remember has never been gun or knife friendly and has gotten a lot worse since 9/11. When I carry a pocket knife I make sure not to clip it on my pocket and that the blade is under 4". If a cop sees the clip he will pull you over and if he feels like it will run you through the system. The majority of the population of NYC agree with their tactics especially since 9/11.
Long Island is a little better but not much.

People have been killing each other since Cane & Abel and they will never stop no matter what gets banned or outlawed. During the riots in L. A. Reginald Denny was severely injured with a brick. Maybe some politician should campaign to outlaw bricks. Thats what it all boils down to, a politician telling people "look what I did to keep you safe" all in order to advance a career in politics. What a joke, the only way to be truly safe is don't be a sheep, be well trained & ARMED. I'll get down from the soapbox now, thanks.

Back