how to finish armidillo

SVanderkolff

Anyone know how armidillo should be finished. I bought some at Blade and have it on a nice little folder but am not sure how to finish it.
Thanks
Steve

I killed one with a pocket knife once. That was a lucky throw.

I hope someone chimes in with an answer soon. I've been rather curious as to how some guys were using this stuff. Is armadillo not a bit risky to use?

i like mine with some pepper and a little lemon juice..

Mike Draper

Mike had a knife at Steve Kelly's hammer in and it had Armadillo on it. He did a very fine job of it. Maybe give Mike a call.

Jim

Steve, I somehow knew that you were going to have a hard time getting a serious answere to that one.

Doug Lester

Has white meat, whiter than chicken. Don't smell that bad as far as I remember.
Ask Billy Helton, I think he oughta know. Dozier

Billy Helton is the man to ask. I asked him how he got past the stink in cleaning one and he just smiled.

I got some scales at the show also, you need to epoxy the back of the scales first so they do not come apart. as for final finish just a slight and light polish is what I was told. I will try and find the guys # for you tonight.

Well a little late on this post , sorry. Dawayne Batten is the go to guy on the dillo# is 1-904-302-3308. If he tells you what the process is to clean and skin these critters I'm glad to pay the thirty five dollars he asks for.
The way that I finish my scales is first take a heat gun and lightly burn the hairs off, I don't like them at all. Before I attach the scales to the knife I brush a little beeswax that has been heated just a little mainly on the scales that are bigger. If you have the pokkadot scales this isn't necessary. Then lightly buff with a white rouge and a loose buffer. The sew ones like to heat the scales to much and sometimes take color off the scales. Hope this this helps

Billy

Masecraft in CT has it [or did]. Also, if they could not give you some finishing tips, they could direct you to someone who could. I know someone who was using it but can't remember who. If his name comes to mind I'll post it.

Well, what I did was to take a piece of scrap and tr it on some white buff. That did not work since the white got caught between the scales and did not look good at all. I then tried it with the green rouge. That worked really well, buff with green then hand rub with a towel. This gets off any of the excess and leaves you with a nice clean shine. I also glued my scales to a piece of the red vulcanized liner before any of the above. It worked out real well. When I get the chance I will post a picture of the finished knife.
The piece of armidillo that I used was fairly smooth and polka doted , looked more like snake skin than anything else. The other piece that I have has really pronounced scales so I still not sure what I am going to do with those pieces.
Steve

New to the forum. Here in Texas their outer shells are sometimes called Texas Ivory. FYI --They are carriers of leprosy but don't get leprosy. Much research has been done in that regard.

Back