The wife is a bit irked!

D

DrGrip

:eek:

#1 son is 16 and has not really shown an interest in the hobbies I have until a couple of days ago. He was digging through my tool box looking for a wrench and found a HSS power hacksaw blade that I had in there. I had forgotten about having it and he asked if he could make a knife from it.

I explained to him that there is a good possibility that the blade would crack during the annealing process or the HT and then asked him if he wanted to make one out of some of the other steel I had instead. He was undeterred and said he wanted to try it. Then he said he wanted to keep the saw portion of it on the spine since it looked cool. :rolleyes:

Well, I couldn't say anything other than lets go for it.

At dinner that night he mentioned it to mom and the eyes started rolling! "Just great, now I'll have 2 people tracking in metal shavings and such!" "not to mention 2 people with Lord knows what all over their shirts and pants!". #2 son wondered what was going on at that point... huh1

#1 and I looked at each other and grinned! :D

The blade is annealed, he ground the edge, I welded a small rod on the end for the hidden tang portion he wants, and he did some final detail work on it so he could get HT done on it.

HT went well with no cracks, he did lose some hair on his arm during the quench, but mom doesn't know about that...

The handle will be red micarta bolsters flowing into a hidden tang comprised of thin copper, whitetail antler, a strip of red micarta, and a bolster of copper. His design for sure...

He is final sanding the blade tomorrow and I'll get some pics posted then... So far so good. We had a GREAT Father's Day together!

Charlie

excellent...that does sound like a great Fathers day..

At dinner that night he mentioned it to mom and the eyes started rolling!

roll-eyes - not good - homo sapiens has a long history of men making knives and other tools - you need to set her straight - you're the one wearing the pants

Bonding with son - fantastic 2thumbs

Great day 2thumbs
I think it safe to say,it won't be his last.
Awsome story.

God bless,Keith
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

{Quote ''you need to set her straight - you're the one wearing the pants''Quote}:eek:
:haha:
Antonio.......How long you been married?:D

What a great fathers day some of my best times growing up were times spent working with my dad

That is exactly what Father's day is about.

Thanks for sharing.

Charlie

Thanks all, we had a lot of fun thus far and more is to come over the next couple of nights I'm sure...

Now, about me wearing the pants in the family... Hmm, let me get back to you on that one after I ask her what to say! LOL

Pics later,

Charlie

Well all, tonight was something we will always remember. :rolleyes:

I'll remember it as a learning experience for my son, and he will remember it as the first time he realized that forcing something is NOT always a good idea! :D 3rd year JRROTC has the muscles quite developed!

The first pic is #1 son with his blade sanded to where he wanted it. He liked the pits and wanted to keep a few of them and some of the off color. He tends to like historic pieces and said this one looked cool with the pits and such.

2nd pic is all of the parts laid out and ready to put on the blade.

3rd pic is everything rough fitted and ready for epoxy.

4th pic is where he learned the lesson... NEVER force something a 1/4 turn more... We've all been there... He took it well and is planning a change or 2 now that we will be redoing a bit of the knife. huh1

Tomorrow we'll cover how to remove scales that have already been epoxied on. :eek:

Charlie

P6210768.jpg

P6210763.jpg

P6210770.jpg

P6210771.jpg

From a guy who's sons are grown and live 1200 miles away. It doesn't get any better than that. Enjoy it. Nice job so far on the knife.

Back