Frightening sight out my front door today...

Justin King

We are under siege by forest fires...I walked out my front door this afternoon to be greeted by this sight...over 1000 homes on the other side of the highway have been evacuated. The fire has grown to over 3000 acres since about 11:00 am today, there were 10 aircraft working it until the fixed-wing units were grounded because of high wind. As of 3:30 no structures had burned, thank God. Have been monitoring the the radios and it sounds like the wind has lessened and the big tankers are going up again.
We are very grateful for our firefighters, who are earning their pay the old fashioned way this summer. And praying for those who have had to leave their homes and posessions, not knowing if they will still be standing when they return.
This is only one of several fires currently burning out of control near Flagstaff, including one within the city limits.

Attachments

• shultz fire 1.jpg
    shultz fire 1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 40
  • shultz fire 2.jpg
    shultz fire 2.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Justin, 30+ mile an hour winds are predicted for Flagstaff, I'm sorry to say. I used to live in Sedona and I hate it for all the people threatened by the fires. A California man was arrested for leaving hot coals at his campsite and starting one of those fires. Carelessness is usually the cause in many of the fires. Good luck to you and your family.

I appreciate your well-wishes. Unless the prevailing wind takes an unusual turn we are not in any immediate danger here but this one is a little close for comfort, not that they are comfortable at any distance. Big fires are nothing new to us but this fire season has gotten off to a rip-roaring start for sure. It is bad enough when they are way out in the hinterlands but when a single fire is threatening thousands of homes at a time it is hair-raising to say the least.
The smoke column from this particular fire is now visible from Pheonix, 140 miles south.

Hang in there and don't take any chances with that fire. If there was any danger to me and mine from that fire I'd be standing by to beat feet if the authorities gave the evacuation order. May God protect and preserve all involved.

Doug Lester

Back