Power hammers and vaporized oil

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
Several months ago there was a thread about air hammers and what to do about the exhaust noise.
I stated that I have a Harley-Davidson muffler on the exhaust of my Big Blu Max hammer and that when it is hammering the only thing that I can hear is the dies hitting hot metal.
Someone else cautioned about the vaporized oil being exhausted into the room and not being good for you to breathe. In response I said that I would check that out. I do have hydraulic oil in the oiler on my system and it is oiling enough that the rod on the hydraulic cylinder has a thin film of oil on it. I will wipe this oil off at the end of the day in order to avoid dust and grit being transported into the cylinder and wearing the bushings.
At the end of the next day of use there again will be a film of oil on the shaft so I know that the cylinder is being oiled adequately.
To test the issue of vaporized oil and therefore people in the shop breathing the oil I taped a coffee filter over the exhaust port. I was concerned that this would restrict the air flow and therefore the efficiency of the hammer. I could detect no reduction of the efficiency of the hammer and after 6 months there is no noticeable oil on the filter. I therefore conclude that vaporized oil from the exhaust port of the hammer into the room has no effect on the air quality in the room.

Seems like a reasonable conclusion to me. I visited Wayne last week and I'll confirm that his Big Blu runs very quiet. 2thumbs

Back